Sunday, March 04, 2007

The first time in Zocalo


This is not the first time I'm in Mexico City but it's the first time I went to the city center: Centro. Today was the only day I really had any free time here and I went to buy some suvenirs from La Ciudadela market and then I was close enough to walk to Zocalo. Last time I promised myself to buy a guitar from La Ciudadela, but I did not do it. Maybe next time.

It's really a shame how the Europeans built their churches on top of the sacred sites of the native people. There was not much left of the pyramids on Plaza Mayor. It's also interesting how this area used to be a lake.

Funny details from the hotel:


  1. Water is apparently drinkable.

  2. They change the soaps every day. So I take one shower and the soap is replaced with a new one.

  3. The room is huge and the minibar expensive.

  4. According to the hotel regulations: "It is strictly forbidden to make annoying noises, cause quarrels, bring musicians or animals into the facilities"

So, musicians or animals, stay away from Fiesta Americana Grand Chapultepec :-) Just kidding, the hotel is quite OK.

I have had some problems sleeping. Last Saturday we came back from Thailand and then on Tuesday morning I was on a plane again heading for Mexico. Because of the late booking, I got flights through Frankfurt and Houston. It took me 24 hours to get here. When I leave tommorrow, it will take only 18 hours to Finland...

No comments: