Friday, February 29, 2008

Soup of the day


I had an exceptional food experience today in Gospoda Kwiaty Polskie restaurant in the Warsaw old town. I am not very keen on eating soups but I decided to have a go. The waiter recommended polish rye soup. The soup had some sausages and boiled egg. It was really excellent. I don't know which one is better, the kidney soup I had in Hungary or this. The main course, pork neck with devil's sauce and fried potatoes wasn't as good.
On the way back to the hotel, I decided to take a taxi. When I sat in, the driver said, in bad English, that the trip (about 1.5 km) would cost 50-60 zlotys. I heard 15-16 zlotys and he showed the taxi meter. I was happy that he used the meter. Then we left and he said "very expensive" "private taxi" "Stare Miasto (old town)", meaning those tourist suckers. I asked, did he say 15-16 and he said no no, 50-60. I said no way and he stopped the car. I gave him 10 zlotys and he left quite angry, probably cursing in Polish. The price was on the window of the car and it was 9 zlotys/km. Unfortunately he left so fast that I did not get the picture of the license plate or the taxi number... The meter was rigged somehow because it actually showed 50 zlotys after a one minute drive. In the beginning the meter showed 6 zlotys, a normal starting price. In the mornings I take a taxi and it costs 40-50 zlotys and I get to ride 40 minutes. This taxi tried to charge the same amount for a two-minute ride.
Anyway, the soup was great. When in Warsaw, try it.

No comments: