Thursday, May 15, 2008

Alcohol in Pakistan

Basically only non-muslims are allowed to drink alcohol and even they need to apply for a permit. Yesterday I bought a bottle of beer from room service. First I had to fill up an application. Among other things they asked what religion I confess and what is my father's name. I am not sure if they are going to call him to ask if I am allowed to drink beer, yet.
Anyway, finally I got my beer. It was domestic because all alcohol here is. I could tell from the etiquette that Murree beer has won several medals in USA, France, London and Ceylon, around the end of the 19th century... I must confess that I did not drink the whole bottle of this celebrated beer. I wonder how the domestic rum tastes? Maybe I will have to try tomorrow. It would be shame not to visit Rumor, the sports bar. I am, after all, the owner of a "Temporary Gold Card" to this establishment throughout my stay here. My permit to buy alcohol is valid for the whole month.

No comments: