Friday, September 19, 2008

Madrid, 19 years after


Last time I was here was about 19 years ago and I must admit that the only thing I remember is Gran Via, Chamartin and Plaza de Espana. So, yesterday I took the train and headed towards the city. I had no idea where I'd have to step out so as soon as I saw something familiar, Madrid-Chamartin, I jumped off the train. It turned out that the train station which I remembered from our inter-rail trip was not located exactly in the city centre but actually quite far from it.
So, I continued with metro to the Gran Via station.
Today, I took the train to Atocha station and it was located much closer to the action. It is actually quite difficult to find a decent dinner around here if you want to eat something more than tapas or french fries and a lousy steak. However, jamon is plenty and always available. It's quite expensive, though. Everything (except the train ticket) is actually quite expensive. Thailand has taken over Spain as a cheap holiday destination.

No comments: